I joined a forum called DifferHonestly recently, maybe about a month ago. I would like to suggest this to you all. It is a great forum dealing with religion and having honest and open debates.
Here is there statement of purpose:
Oh, sure. You can find forums for Christians.
… Or Muslims.
…. Or atheists.
….. Or Jews.
…… Or Humanists.
……. Or Mac users.
…….. Or Windows users.
But if what if you’re a Christian who wants to connect with honest and open atheists?
Or a Mac user who wants to connect with honest and open Republicans?
This is where we come to differ honestly, and build connections between people.
And here is their reasons for why you might not want to hang out there:
Here are a few reasons why DH might not be for you. If you find yourself in agreement with one or more of these, you’ll still be welcome, but you may find interacting with our members a frustrating experience. You are encouraged to give us a try anyway.*
- “I’m not going to change your mind, and you’re not going to change my mind, so there’s no point in our having a discussion.”
- “If we talk, I only have two choices: to debate you, or appear complicit and condone you through my silence.”
- “I already know everything. You can’t show me anything new.”
- “I have already investigated criticisms of my life stance to my satisfaction, and have reached a powerful and satisfying conclusion that I am one thousand percent certain is true. My time on earth is too short for your kind of so-called ‘debate.'”
- “I don’t owe you a conversation. If we all had to re-examine our beliefs every time someone said we were wrong, we’d never have time to be productive people and live our lives.”
“If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a hoper, a prayer, a magic-bean-buyer. If you’re a pretender, come sit by my fire, for we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!”
— Shel Silverstein
* These arguments adapted by permission from “Truth Driven Thinking” podcast dated 9/5/2007, by Stephen Gibson, author of A Secret of the Universe. Listen to the podcast for one man’s rebuttals to these (and more) hypothetical positions.
Sound interesting to you yet? I hope so! If you like to discuss religion, I’d really suggest this forum. So come and at least check it out, I know it would be appreciated! And say hi to me if you do. My name is Hope on there. So go ahead..check it out!
Just go to: Differ Honestly